MRI, disc herniation, torn disc, levoscoliosis, sciatica, paresthesia in mid-section. Treatment?

I was in a car accident. The MRI reports show that I have disc herniation at L5-S1 and the disc is torn. The reports also say I have Levoscoliosis at L3-L4. I also have Sciatica. Also I have Paraesthsia in my mid-section. What would you recommend as the best treatment options?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Regarding spinal disc herniation which is also called slipped disc, it is a condition affecting the spine, in which a tear in the outer, fibrous ring of an intervertebral disc allows the soft, central portion to buldge out.

In your case, since you are having parasthesia as well so it might be causing compression of the nerves. It is at the level of L5-S1, so it may cause sciatica due to irritation of one of the nerve roots of the sciatic nerve.

The majority of herniated discs will heal themselves in about six weeks and do not require surgery. Non-surgical methods of treatment are usually attempted first, leaving surgery as a last resort and in this non steroidal drugs, lumbosacral back support and steroid injections are very useful.

Surgery should only be considered as a last resort after all conservative treatments (non-surgical therapy) have been tried and these include fascetectomy, foraminotomy, intervertebral disc annuloplasty, intervertebral disc arthroplasy, laminoplasty, laminotomy, microdiscectomy or spinal laminectomy.

Levoscoliosis is a slight left curvature of the spine. In most cases, physiotherapy, casting and bracing are sufficient but surgery is usually recommended by orthopedists for curves that have a high likelihood of progression (i.e., greater than 45 to 50 degrees magnitude) or curves that would be cosmetically unacceptable. So the degree of levoscoliosis needs to be confirmed.

Please consult an orthopedic surgeon and discuss these treatment options with him. Till then you can wear a lumbosacral brace after consulting your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.