MRI and CAT scan showed ruptured/bludging disk in my C3 and C4. Having pain and numbness. Lips and ears go numb. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi I am 47 yrs of age I have had a cat scan and mri recently. I have a ruptured/bludging disk in my C3 and C4. I have pain numbness tingling in my left shoulder arm and hand and the neuro doctor said that normal with his problem. Where we do not agree is and Please think about this hard because it is consuming my life. My face like from my lips up goes numb and both ears. My scalp starts tingling and sebum yes sebum come out of my scalp. it is like spewing it is so much it sicks/kinda glues my hair to my head. I have to use prescription shampoo to get it loose or work it with my fingers heat, sun, sweat, pain, stress makes it start. Don't these areas in my back carry the nerves to my scalp and face. Please don't brush me off. It comes out my eyelashes and crystallizes on my eyebrows. I just want someone to tell me it is possible or at least they believe me I have also seen a derm doc. Thank you so much Amy XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
C 3-4 Disc can lead to tingling numbness

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

As per your symptoms tingling numbness can be due to diffuse disc bulge compressing your cervical spine.
This can lead to numbness in your lips and ear area.
Some medication like methylcobalamine with muscle relaxant and analgesic will reduce pain, you can take them consulting your treating doctor.

Some exercises which can be done after pain has reduced include- gradual neck rotation, touching your ears to shoulder, shoulder shrugging exercises.
You may consult physiotherapist for further guidance. He may start TENS ,or ultrasound which is helpful in your case.

Now the problem about your scalp can be an adverse effect of methotrexate which you are taking .You need to take folic acid vitamin with this. Consult your doctor regarding continuation of methtrexate.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.