MRI, Type 2 SLAP lesion, adjacent paralabral cyst, cortical irregularity, cystic changes

my MRI says TYPE 2 SLAP LESION WITH AN ADJACENT PARALABRAL CYST. also the cortical irregularity & cystic changes of the humeral head along the rotator cuff insertion may be seen in the setting of chronic impingement in English this means does this have to be operated on if yes what If I wait to long, I have good days and bad,but can still do a lot of stuff with it thank you !
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later

SLAP is an initialism that stands for "Superior Labral tear from Anterior to Posterior".

From the description of the MRI, it seems that you might be having injury of the superior part of the glenoid labrum (fibrocartilaginous rim attached around the margin of the glenoid cavity of the scapular bone) - in short reffered to as SLAP lesion type II.

This condition requires surgical intervention for early recovery and recovery of full function. This usually involves a arthroscopic repair (SLAP repair) of the damaged ligaments and reattach the labrum to the glenoid.

Post surgical recovery involves immobilization of the arm in a sling for the first four weeks to allow proper healing.
Stage two –involves physical therapy with limited load bearing. The goal here is to increase range of motion.
Stage three (8 -10 weeks later) – Increased range of motion and initial strength training. Return to day-to-day activities, but not strenuous activity.
Stage four – complete recovery might take about 3-4 months, enough for a return to full activity.

In case the treatment is delayed or avoided, then chances of worsening of the injury and further damage of the ligaments is increased.

In addition you might be having persistent chronic pain with inability to have full range of motion of the shoulder joint.

I hope this helps.

Follow-up: MRI, Type 2 SLAP lesion, adjacent paralabral cyst, cortical irregularity, cystic changes 13 hours later
ok,so how bad is it if I wait ? I am a pro athlete,some days no pain at all..some days it bugs me..bottom line,must it be fixed ?? and the dangers if not ? how long before i can fully use it after surgery...thank you !
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 22 minutes later

Since you are a athlete, and you need to have a good , pain-free shoulder for excellence, getting the proper and effective treatment will be beneficial for you.

Post surgery, the maximum time needed for full active use would be 4-5 months.

If not fixed, then chances of worsening of the injury and further damage of the ligaments is increased, with progressive worsening of your pain and discomfort.

Consulting a orthopedic doctor , experienced in arthroscopic repair procedures will be the right way to proceed ahead.