Lymphedemia in one leg, treated for hemorrhoids resulting in constipation, numbness. Symptoms of MS ?

I've had a couple symptoms associated with MS over the past five years, but never thought to look up MS until my friend's dad was diagnosed with it last week. I'm concerned I may just be "Google" diagnosing myself, which typically ends in anxiety on my part, but I wanted to double check! I'm a 23 year old female. Occasionally when I exercise, one or both of my legs tends to "fall asleep." I have lymphedemia in one leg, and if only one leg falls asleep it's typically that one. About once a week, I also wake up in the middle of the night because one of my hands is completely numb and I need to move it a lot to regain feeling. In regards to fatigue, I typically have an uncontrollable need to fall asleep every afternoon despite getting 8-9 hours of sleep a night. It often interferes with my school and/or work, and occasionally when I drive. This winter I was treated for hemorrhoids resulting from constipation. If I drink a lot of water, eat fiber bars and take fiber tables it typically helps but is still causing me pain. In addition to constipation I tend to go to the bathroom every hour or two, but this might be from drinking so much water! I was concerned mainly because of the combination of these last two set of symptoms with feeling numbness, especially when I exercise. Any input you have would be great! Thank you so much!
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Multiple Sclerosis
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 51 minutes later

Usually, a person is diagnosed with multiple sclerosis between 20 and 50 years of age, but before laelling it as multiple sclerosis, other causes should be ruled out by investigations. isual disturbances may be the first symptoms of multiple sclerosis but other symptoms like Muscle spasms, fatigue, numbness, and prickling pain may also be present. Constipation can also be present.

But anything can be confirmed only after investigations. MRI scan of the brain and MRI scan of the spine are important to help diagnose and follow MS and you can get it done. If it comes out clear, chances of MS from your symptoms are less.

The numbness can be due to parasthesia as well which is due to dysfunctioning of neurons. It can be due to diabetes, hypothyroidism, peripheral vascular disease, malnutrition.

Get your blood sugar and thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve.

Color flow venous duplex scanning of the proximal and distal veins is the current standard for routine clinical assessment of possible lower extremity peripheral vascular disease. You can get it done. You can also get a non invasive investigations like a CT scan/MRI scan done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.