Lymph nodes in the groin area. Should I worry ?

Infertility Specialist
I have lymph nodes in my grion area. I'm scared its hiv. Any help? I'm scared to go to doctors.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
First of all, let me reassure you that merely having enlarged lymph nodes does not mean that you have HIV infection.
Lymph nodes are a part of the defence system of the body and are enlarged if there is an infection or inflammation of the area it is draining.
Groin lymph nodes are called "Inguinal lymph nodes" in Medical terms. They receive as afferents lymphatic vessels from many areas like the penis, scrotum, buttocks, abdominal wall among other places.
These lymph nodes will be enlarged if there is any infection or inflammation of these areas. Hence please visit a doctor to get examined. They are not harmful and go away when the cause of enlargement is cured.
However, if you have a history of exposure to a potential source of HIV in the last 72 hours, please consult your treating physician as soon as possible. There are drugs which if taken within 72 hours of exposure can prevent you from becoming HIV positive.
Please see your treating physician who will be able to examine you and order some investigations to know the exact cause of the enlarged lymph nodes.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. I will be available for follow up queries.
Dr.Mahesh Koregol