Lymph nodes at the back of head are painful and swelling. Unable to turn head. Treatment?

Hi Doctor, My lymph nodes at the back of the left year and the left lower back side of the head are painful since yesterday. I can feel a vsry small swelling in the lower back side of the head but nothing in the back of the year, I don't have fever, but feel uncomfortable it hurts and I can't turn my neck as normal, what should I do? Please help
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and considerations.

The most likely reason why your lymph nodes are swelling is reaction to something in the environment such as a virus or possibly something your body might be allergic to.

These types of swelling of lymph nodes will usually slowly fade away over several days. If you are having significant discomfort I would recommend you consider using ibuprofen. Ibuprofen can be taken at 200 mg doses and you can take up to 600 or 800 mg every eight hours. You can try this for a few days.

I would expect that the swelling and pain will slowly fade away over the next 5 to 7 days. If for some reason the swelling is persistent or if it worsens I would recommend that you see your primary care doctor for a focused consultation and complete physical examination.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any other concerns regarding this issue.

Dr. Galamaga