Lupus treated with hydroxychloroquine. Getting moody, anxiety and depressed. Any concern?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 86 year old father has been diagnosed with Lupus and is being treated with hydroxychloroquine. Since most cases of Lupus occur at earlier ages, I am more sensitive to standard treatments for someone this age. He is resisiting taking the medication citing side effects such as moodiness, anxiety, depression. These same symptoms may be the result of his recent retirement and adjustment to change after so many years. Do you have any concerns with the hydroxychloroquine for a patient this old but in otherwise good health?
Posted Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Lupus can occur at any age in either sex. Hydroxychloroquine can be safely used in the old age without any major issues. The common side effects include- headache, ringing in ears, spinning sensation, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, loss of appetite, weight loss, mood changes, feeling nervous or irritable, skin rash or itching or hair loss.
The mild mood changes and anxiety that he is having is likely to level off after few weeks of use. Do not worry.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.