Lungs very weak due to COPD, on dialysis. On oxygen. How to get the lungs functioning better?

My lungs sut down after slight exertion. I have copd. I am on dialysis. I moniter my oxygen and have 94 5 when on oxygen and 80 when off oxygen ffor ten or so minutes or exert myself at all. My lungs seem to be stopped up. I breath fine sitting with oxygen running. This just started the last few days. i need something to get the lungs fiunctioning better.
Denzil Lacy
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 2 hours later

As per your description your lungs seem to be quite weak which is most likely because of COPD. Added to that probably radiation may have also caused some damage. Being on regular dialysis also may affect lungs. You may try following measures:

1. You have to be on regular oxygen and ensure that there is no fluid overload after the dialysis.

2. You may try using `Non Invasive Ventilators` like a BiPAP or CPAP which may ease your breathing.

3. Be on regular inhalers/nebulizers and other medicines for your COPD.

4. Go for chest physiotherapy for which you may have to consult a chest physiotherapist. He will teach you some breathing techniques.

5. Indulge in some kind of physical exercise with in your limits like walking or static cycling.

6. Avoid catching a cold as it will worsen your lung function if it goes down to your lungs. Ask your pulmonologist for pneumonia and inflenza vaccine.

8.Lastly consult a cardiologist to ensure that your heart is pumping well.