Lungs hurt when I cough. Why am I feeling this?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
my breathing is fine but when i cough my lungs hurt and this staarted about 5 days ago
all the doctor did was check my breathing with a listening device he put in his ears. said i was fine and gave me
cephalexin sent me on my way sometimes i cough uncontrolably
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later

Cough can be produced due to many reasons like lung disorders ( Asthma, Interstisial lung disease, infection) , upper airway disorder, GERD etc.

In your case as you stated that it started 5 days ago and your chest is fine on auscultation by your treating doctor, cough seems to be due to upper airway disorder like pharyngitis. Pharyngitis has no abnormal sounds on auscultation. It is common and treatable.

Your doctor had already started antibiotic (cephalexin). Continue on it. You can also bring down your cough by steam inhalation and cough syrup. You can use any over the counter cough suppressant syrup (Robutussin / Waltussin) if your doctor has not prescribed any. The dose is like 1 Tsp three times a day.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you have no further query.