Lungs demonstrate irregular linear opacities. Costophrenic angles sharp. Pneumonoconiosis identified. Meaning?

Pulmonologist
Question
What does this mean: The lungs demonstrate irregular linear opacities of the s/t type of a 0/1 degree of profusion. The costophrenic angles are sharp. No pleural abnormality consistent with pneumonoconiosis is identified. The visualized osseous structures are unremarkable.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 13 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
After going through your query, I would like to make the following comments:
1. You seem to have been screened for pneumoconiosis (occupational lung disease) by a chest radiograph PA view.

2. Your lung opacities have been graded as per the ILO (International Labour organisation) classification of X XXXXXXX radio opacities :
-primary opacities (irregular/reticular shaped) - of "s" type i.e. size less than 1.5 mm.
-secondary opacities (irregular/reticular shaped) - of "t" type i.e. size between 1.5 mm to 3 mm.

-Profusion refers to the concentration of radio opacities. Thus 0/1 profusion indicates a severity of 3 on a scale of 1 (least severe) to 12 (most severe).

- Sharp costophrenic angles and no pleural abnormality are normal findings.

- "The visualized osseous structures are unremarkable." This means there is no bony abnormality in your thoracic cage on chest Xray.

3. Based on these findings, I would suggest you to get yourself investigated with high resolution computerized tomography scan (HRCT scan) Thorax for these interstitial opacities.

4. Sometimes on a digital X XXXXXXX films, on can normally see these reticular markings. Especially, since these marking are present throughout both lung fields, I presume that your X XXXXXXX has been misinterpreted. In all probability, a normal HRCT scan of the thorax will definitely reassure you.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: Lungs demonstrate irregular linear opacities. Costophrenic angles sharp. Pneumonoconiosis identified. Meaning? 1 hour later
Thank you. I am going to make a follow up appointment.

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 3 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Yes, you should definitely follow up with your physician.

I hope I have answered your query.

Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB