Lung infection. Acute pain in abdominal, lumbar region. Tests done. Taken Buscopan, Omeropizole, pain killers, anti-biotics. No relief. Treatment?

For about 6 weeks I have been experiencing a sharp crushing pain in the centre of my chest and across my stomach - the pain also extends down the right hand side of my stomach and around to my back above the hip bone. The pain is fairly constant although it worsens through the day and eating does not seem to affect the severity. I do not have blood pressure problems, have not been sick, had dioreha but very slight constipation. I am not having any breathing difficulties. I had various checks done in XXXXXXX last year (x-rays etc) and a lung infection was found for which I am on long term anti-biotics - it is not TB but a microbaterial infection. I don't think the ant-biotics are the problem because I have been taking from XXXXXXX 2011 with no pain until recently. I have tried various OTC painkillers and my doctor firstly prescribed buscopan and then omeropizole. I find the pain is largely unchanged whether or not I'm resting or moving.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

I can understand your concern for this pain. Three possibilities need to be ruled out from your symptoms:

1)     Pleuritis causing pleurisy which may be a result of complication of infection by mycobacteriaum other than tuberculosis. The main symptom of pleurisy is pain in the chest. This pain often occurs when you take a XXXXXXX breath in or out, or cough.

2)     Second possibility is of gall bladder disease which can cause pain under the right ribs and upper abdomen

3)     Third possibility although less likely is of any kidney disease which can cause pain in the abdominal region radiating to the back or lumbar region.
To rule out these possibilities it is advisable to get a CT scan chest and abdomen done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.