Lung congestion after using new CPAP machine. Have COPD and asthma. Any answer to this problem?

I have been using a new Cpap machine for about two weeks when my lungs started to have congestion. then the congestion got much worse and feels like a bad cold with tight congestion XXXXXXX within my chest that has not gotten get better for 5 or 6 days. With my old Cpap this condition happened quite often. I felt that perhaps this condition would be resolved with the new heated hose on the new Cpap. I have COPD and asthma and I really sleep well with the Cpap. However I don't what to have bad congestion in my lungs over and over. So I am wondering if this problem has an answer.
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 3 hours later
Dear friend,

I see that you have both a lung and a heart condition which can give breathlessness. Cpap does help both if seen appropriate by the expert.

With your problem of unresolving breathlessness / discomfort, I would request you to answer a few questions to differentiate heart from lung causes.
Do you have fever, cough, and expectoration?
Do you have swelling over feet / ankles / face?
Any chest pain, sweating, palpitations?
Are you passing an adequate amount of urine?
Are you following the medicines meticulously?
Has a 2D echo been done of late?
Can you enlist all medicines, and upload all the heart reports using the site’s uploader?

A respiratory infection, often a viral can worsen your breathlessness. So are worsening heart functions - Congestive heart failure or a new arrhythmia. You have reasons to have it.

Please come up with above information and I would be able to guide you accordingly.

I assume the CPAP guys have set it at the right settings and you are using it as per instructions.
Inappropriate use can also add to breathlessness, the heart and lungs remaining static. But I feel that you may need a cardiology review soon.

Will await your answer; would also like to resolve any further queries you may have.

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress.
Good Luck!

P.S. May I request for your rating and review of this answer as you press the “ accept the answer” button and close the query (if there are no more follow up questions)?
Thank you!