Lung cancer spread to brain. What is the condition after radiotherapy? Safe to live alone?

my 65 yo father weighs 15 stone and is 5' 9" he was diagnosed with lung and liver cancer in feburary the lung cancer was at an advanced stage back then and now has it on his brain. he was having Kemo up until a couple of months ago then was put on Kemo tablets which have been inaffective. he is going to start another course of kemo after some radio therapy on the brain, what sort of condition will he be in with the radio therapy and is it safe for him to be living alone at this stage ?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Lung Cancer
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later

From the history that you have given me, your father is in the advanced stages of cancer with metastasis. That means the outlook is not very good.

If radiotherapy is added on top of chemotherapy his general condition would deteriorate even further

He would have side effects from the treatments like loss of hair, nausea, vomiting, weakness, anorexia etc due to radiotherapy.

The coming days are going to be very difficult for him as well as his near and dear ones. You need to be prepared to face them with courage. I understand it is quite a lot to ask from anyone, but these are the times that are defining. We need to look out for our dear ones in the hour of need.

You can seek help from a councilor to help you decide what is best for you. If it is too demanding on you, I would suggest you arrange for hospice care if it is not possible for you to be with him during his final days. I know it is not an easy decision to make. I empathize with you.

I hope you will make the right decision.