Lumpy discoloration under forearm, roughness in some areas. Actinic Keratosis?

I have some lumpy discolorations, pinkish and XXXXXXX showing up under my forearm...Some I can feel but not necessarily see. Rough in some areas. One like a jigger bite but not itching and today a small light pink wart like bump on my forearm. Could any of th is be Actinic Keratosis? too much web searching I guess. Hard to diagnose without seeing Im sure. It seems strange its on one underarm but not the other.
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query, and although your description is quite vague, I shall try my best to guide you through the steps of management.

First of all, it is indeed difficult to diagnose without looking at and examining, but even more difficult to diagnose any skin condition without testing it in the laboratory, as is routinely done for all growths (especially warts, etc.).

We do have an option of uploading pictures here on our forum, you could in fact try to attach pictures to our discussion, if you are comfortable with doing so.

For the time being, the possibilities range from:
-Skin infections (will have other symptoms like itching, fever, discharge, etc.)
-Allergic(drug) reactions (Arava has side-effects like bruising, bleeding, itching, skin rash, etc.)
-Psoriatic arthritis (will have pinkish-red patches, silvery scales, etc.)
-Rash due to other systemic conditions
-Sexually transmitted infections
-Cancer (rare)

It is close to impossible to comment on Actinic Keratosis without examining a skin sample in the laboratory. But, I request you to visit a skin specialist (dermatologist), who will be able examine your skin and take samples for investigations (if required). Especially as you have just started on a new medication, discontinuing this drug to see if the skin presentation subsides, will also have to be ordered by your treating doctor.

In the meantime, keep the area clean and dry, and avoid application of any topical products without the supervision of a doctor. Do not worry, I am sure this is nothing serious, and you should be fine in no time.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.