Lumps under thigh, calf & arm. Had implanon implant for birth control, got belly pierced. What is the problem?

My 17 year old daughter had implanon implanted 3 weeks ago for birth control. We went on vacation where she got her belly button pierced a week later. About 4 days she has had several 1 -2 inch in diameter lumps for under the skin in her thigh, calf, arm and side. She is scared that it is something serious, but I'm reassuring her that it isn't. We have a follow up with her nurse practitioner in one week for the implanon. Can you tell us what the problem might be?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Sudden appearance of lumps on the body are not likely to be related to the birth control. There are many possible causes for it which include:
• Skin cysts
• Dermatofibromas
• Epidermoid cysts
• Folliculitis
• Keratoacanthoma
Keratosis pilaris
• Lipomas
• Neurofibromas.

Lumps can be caused by any number of conditions, including infections, inflammation, tumors and trauma. Depending on the cause, lumps may be single or multiple, soft or firm, painful or painless. They may grow rapidly or may not change in size.
A direct examination is essential to help in the diagnosis. Most of the times such suddenly appearing lumps are due to immunological reactions of the body and do subside spontaneously after few days. Please do not worry.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.