Lumps on top of hand, hard, non movable. Normal RA factor. Negative for MS. Joint pain in wrists

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have 2 quarter size lumps on the top of my left hand, both almost in direct line with middle finger, that are hard and stationary. RA factor is normal. Have had tests for MS, all negative. Sever joint pain in both wrists and cant do fine motor skills with either hand at times. Very sporadic. Not a ganglion cyst.
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 59 minutes later
The quarter size lumps on your hand can be due to many causes. Since the ganglion cyst has already been ruled out, the other likely causes are-
1. Giant cell tumor of tendon sheath.
2. Epidermoid inclusion cyst.
3. Lipomas, nerve sheath tumors, neurofibromas, etc.
All these swellings if related to the tendon sheath will cause painful movements of the fingers and wrist. These will cause an inflammation around the wrist joint causing the symptoms you are having. These will also interfere with the fine motor skills.
A careful history and physical exam performed by a hand surgeon can narrow down the possibilities as to the type of swelling you have. X-rays and MRI might
be taken if there is concern about bony involvement or to evaluate the soft tissues.
The treatment depends on the cause but recommended for pain relief. Surgical excision is necessary most of the times to restore the hand function.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.