Ask a Urologist   »  

Lumps on inner foreskin, move like skin tags, no pain or itching

Jul 2012

On the inner foreskin (The inside of foreskin that covers the head) There are two small 1mm sized lumps that are like flesh or white coloured, it started as what seemed like a skin tag but is now two little bumps with an almost pointy head, they feel just like skin tags and even move like skin tags but arent attached by a stalk. they dont hurt or itch or no other problems. no more seem to be growing and its hard to tell if they are getting any bigger. they werent there 6 months ago. have been with the one partner for 7 years now
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 11 minutes later
Hi there.
Let me be specific & your precise history & clinical descritption allows me to do so.
They are most likely 'warts'.
Please assess your partner too as women normally are HPV carriers (HPV..human papilloma virus) & the infection is usually higher up on the cervix etc & will need a gynecologist's examination &/or a process called aceto-whitening to confirm said diagnosis.
In your case, the treatment is pretty straightforward. Topical creams eg 5% 5 fluorouracil or 'podophyllotoxin' may be used but preferably under the supervision of a GP or dermatologist depending on your set-up.
Alternatively (& my personal preference)...either cryotherapy (use of liquid nitrogen) or electrotherapy (cautery or 'burning off' the lesions using a hyfrecator) under a tiny near painless local anaesthesia at your dermatologist's office will get rid of it once & for all. Ensure both partners are checked & abstain from unprotected sex till such time as both in the clear.
Do hope this answer has helped you make an informed deciscion. Cheers & all the best!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist
Bangalore, India
Follow-up: Lumps on inner foreskin, move like skin tags, no pain or itching 1 hour later
So even though there have been no other sexual partners for many years now, this is still most likely warts? My wife has had the Gardasil injections for HPV but i understand that is only for certain types of the HPV virus.
I would not have thought the virus would stay dormant for so long before manifesting itself.
So basically if one of us has it then both would have it by now? as we have had heaps of unprotected sex due to trying for a baby for the last 3 years.
If it doenst grow any further or spread is there any real need to be rid of it?

Thanks a lot for your help. I also posted a photo but i am not sure if you got that before answering.

Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 16 minutes later
Hi there XXXXXXX
Looked at the photograph.
My clinical hunch & treatment et al still stands!
Yes to all the above questions you posed subsequently. Hence, i have never been a fan of said vaccine.
The virus dormancy & incubation period is an ill-understood phenomenon medically as i write.
Dont worry..what is important is that you get it sorted & your wife assessed.
Most definitely get rid of it as you dont want it to spread; also coitus sans protection may just increase the viral load so condom usage till removal probably smarter.
Trust am clear. Am sorry if i sound 'definitive' in my action plan but have seen hundreds of such cases over the years & have always seen them spread if left alone even if some text books preach masterly inactivity. Besides why not get it over & done with when it is simple, cheap & more or less definitive (there is a chance being a virus these things will recur & no-one can give you a guarantee or reliable percentages in warts).
Cheers & as am rystal clear in my diagnosis & treatment options & there is no doubt in my mind, do hope this helps you whatever path you opt for making an 'informed' choice together with your spouse. Please do 'close' the question & send in your feedback/rating should you find time as else, it pops up at this end as a follow up question even if you simply say thanks..fallacies of technology :)
Have a good day & wish you a wart-free existence soon...cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD