Lumps on head, arm, lower front calf

Counting the lumps
I have had a lump on my head that has slowly grown over the years. This year the hair that comes out of it is very course are super curly plus it seems to have a odd smell to it. I now have another one that is starting the same way, but is slightly painful. One has appeared on my upper right arm and two on my lower front calf. What are they?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later

Thank you for posting the query,

I understood your problem however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries.
1) Are these lumps movable or fixed?
2) Can you pinch the skin above the lump?
3) If you try to squeeze the lump does it ooze out any thick white fluid?
4) Are you able to see any small pore above the lump?

If you can answer this probably I can help you better, though a physical examination would be more important.

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.
With history what you have submitted, there seems to be two possibilities.

Firstly there is a possibility of it being a sebaceous cyst, which manifest as smooth lump which can ooze out foul smelling fluid when squeezed. It has a small pore in the center.

The second possibility seems to be of a Lipoma which is a swelling of fat lobules. Lipoma is a smooth lump which is easily movable.

Both the conditions can be removed surgically.

Kindly reply me with the answers as this will help me in suggesting you better.

Perhaps consultation with a competent dermatologist for physical examination & evaluation would confirm the diagnosis.

Waiting for your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.