Lumps in the vaginal wall, swelling, pap smear normal. Is it normal?

Hello, I am a 28 y/o female, 5'2", 116lbs, with no medical problems. My question--my husband is complaining that the inside of my vagina feels "lumpy" or swollen when we have sex and that it actually hurts him. He used to only complain about this around my cycle but it is becoming more frequent. Is this normal? I recently had a normal pap smear in July.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later

The 'lumpy' feeling is something that is normal for vagina. Vaginal wall contains many rugosities which feel like big lumps to an untrained eye.

The vaginal secretions are reduced nearing menstrual periods and hence the rugosities may feel feel more prominent near your periods due to decreased vaginal lubrication.

Definitely I would reassure you saying that there is no major health concern with you. Do not worry.
You can avoid this problem by using petroleum jelly or vaginal creams while having sex.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.