Lumps in calf muscles and legs, painful to touch. Causes and treatment for lumps?

Question
My wife has several small lumps in her right calf ( and a couple in her left). They are extremely painful and even gently rubbing her calf with lotion will make her jerk her leg away. This has been going on for several weeks. We don't have insurance, since I was laid off 3 years ago. Any idea what it could be?
Thanks! XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later
Your wife has a history of diabetes and these lumps can be due to boils or infected hair follicles which are not healing due to the history of diabetes. The other possibility is of varicose veins or erythema induratum.

Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by Staphylococcus aureus and may occur due to hair follicles that are blocked by greasy creams and petroleum jelly or by using shared cosmetics or washcloths.

For folliculitis, she should keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also ask her to wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap. It can be avoided by exercising good hygiene. Topical antibiotics like Clindamycin and Neosporin which are usually available over the counter are effective. For boils, however you may need oral antibiotics, benzoyl peroxide creams or incision and drainage.

If the symptoms persist then varicose veins and erythema induratum should be evaluated. You can also send me photographs of the lumps at YYYY@YYYY with sub: “ATTN Dr Jasvinder singh” or attach them with this query so that I can have a look at the photos and it will help me in understanding your condition better.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.