Lump under skin. Popped it. There is a new appearance. What now?

Hi, I had a lump under my skin, on my left upper outer arm, I felt it and it felt like a pea shaped lump, I accidentally popped it last night, I was rolling it between my forefinger and thumb and it popped while I did that. What do I do now? There is a small XXXXXXX on my outer arm where the lump was, now I do not feel anything there.

The pea shaped lump was XXXXXXX under my skin and I thought it was a vein, or something, I was afraid when it did pop it was a blood clot although I do visit my Doctor on a regular basis, I was just there this past Friday. I did not have it then, I noticed it on Saturday night while at work.
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later

From your symptoms it looks like a lipoma. Lipoma is a benign tumor composed of fat cells. They are soft to the touch, mobile between the fingers and are generally painless. They are harmless and nothing is to be done until they are causing pain or are unsightly.

Simple excision is usually done for superficial lipomas and is done under anesthesia by giving and excision and removing the contents of the lipoma. You have accidentally removed it. So just keep the area clean and apply topical antiseptics. Also application of topical antibiotic like Neosporin and Mupirocin will help prevent infection.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.