Lump under clavicle, growing. Too high for breast cancer. Ask for a biopsy of the tissue?

My husband has a lump under his clavicle...he asked his doctor about it, but the dermatologist did nothing. I felt it tonight and it is appreciably larger (it has gone from tip of a baby's finger to larger than dime-sized now). I am very worried now. It seems too high for breast cancer, but I don't know. I would love to know some of what this "could" be. Also what to ask the doctor to Biopsy the tissue?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

The gradually increasing lump under the clavicle is most likely an enlarged lymph node. Lymph nodes swelling are one of the thing which inform us about the breach in immune system. It could have been breached by micro-organisms that is infection, continuous inflammation, hypersensitivity or uncontrolled production of WBC's like in cancer.

These are all the possibilities.

For this, a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) of the lymph nodes and swollen glands is the best test. FNAB is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe.

So please consult your doctor as physical examination of the lymph nodes and lab investigation are must to confirm and rule out persisting infection and other causes.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.