Lump under breast in child, bloody discharge, petechial rash on chest, pneumonia. Awaiting ultrasound. Is there a correlation between symptoms?

Pediatrician
Question
Hello, Recently I noticed a lump under my 2 (almost 3)year old boys left breast. I took him to his pediatrician and upon examination there was also a bloody discharge from the left nipple. He goes for an ultrasound this week. The pediatrician did not send him for any blood work. Yesterday he was really not feeling quite well. Now this evening he has developed a petechial rash on his chest. As well he had one a few months ago right around the same time he had pneumonia. Do you think there is any correlation between these symptoms? Should I take him back to the pediatrician sooner? And what tests would you recommend? What could cause a breast lump in a 2 year old boy?
Posted Tue, 3 Jul 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.

The following information would assist me in guiding you better:
1. How long has the swelling been there?
2. Was it increasing gradually over a period of time?
3. Is it swelling associated with pain, fever and redness?

If the above signs are present then most likely it could be infective in nature with formation of an abscess. An ultrasound and blood tests in the form of haemogram, blood culture, blood sugar, etc. would assist in coming to a diagnosis. Discuss with the treating paediatrician who may like to put him on an antibiotic if it is an infection.

Regarding your query of its association with pneumonia, it is very unlikely to be due to it. However repeated infections would need to be worked up to find a cause.

I hope I have answered to your satisfaction. Please do not hesitate to revert back for any clarification.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Lump under breast in child, bloody discharge, petechial rash on chest, pneumonia. Awaiting ultrasound. Is there a correlation between symptoms? 6 hours later
Hello, I only noticed the lump about a week ago. So I'am unsure of whether there has been any change. There is no pain, swelling or redness. He has not had a fever in the past while. His nipple does appear to be slightly blue.
Follow-up: Lump under breast in child, bloody discharge, petechial rash on chest, pneumonia. Awaiting ultrasound. Is there a correlation between symptoms? 4 minutes later
Hello, To follow up it is believed not be an infection as there is no swelling, redness, pain or any fevers. I only noticed the lump a week ago so I am unsure of any changes. His nipple does have a blue appearance and the lump is maybe about 1 cm.

Thanks, Melissa

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for your response.

From the information you provided, it is unlikely that the petechial rashes and breast lump is related. If infection is rule out, it is predict the nature of this lump. We need to wait for the ultrasound report before we comment on the likely cause.

If I were to be his treating doctor, I would wait for the ultrasound report. We may have to go for an excision biopsy to confirm the diagnosis.

In the absence of infection, this lump looks concerning to me and following up with his paediatrician / surgeon with the ultrasound report is warranted.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other queries.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery