Lump / swelling on armpit, no pain, gained weight. Do i have some type of cancer?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
hello
i have a lump in my right armpit...i dont know if its a lump or swelling or just fatness..coz i have considerably put on weight. why i think it might be because its a bit bigger than my left armpit and it doesnt pain or bother at all.. just that when i press the right armpit i feel some thing.. not exactly pain.. i dont knw ..but something..like its been pulled ...
do i have some kind of cancer or something iam 23 years old female
Posted Wed, 30 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 6 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

I have seen your images and one of them shows the lump you have described the other has some reports

Regarding your query as to what the lump could be, here is some information I would need :

1] How long has it been there ?
2] Is it increasing ?
3] Is there any history of injury ?
4] Any similar swelling anywhere else in the body ?
5] Any ultrasound or other investigation done ?

By the way on inspecting the pictures it appears to be a Lipoma - Lump of fatty tissue

It does not appear to be a cancer

Yet get back to me with the information and I would be able to guide you further
Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing you a Speedy recovery

Follow-up: Lump / swelling on armpit, no pain, gained weight. Do i have some type of cancer? 13 minutes later
first of all.. in user selected category i had chosen lympho i dont why it came to drug abuse.. i dont do drugs at all.. i just smoke and drink sometimes :)
about the queries--

1.i didnt exactly noticed when it started. few weeks back one of my friend told me that my armpits were like fat (as i had put on a lot of weight ) then today i inspected and saw the difference between the left and right and got worried.

2.i dont think it is increasing
3.injury ? like in my arm pit ? no ? i started doing yoga a month back in intervals and my arms joints and all use to pain . well i had a calcaneous heel fracture .got operated and some back pain due to the accident.

4.no .no such swelling like that.. well i wouldnt know. after putting on weight ..my whole body swelled up anyways.

5.no,no ultra sound . but i did do some tests which the doctor asked me to do after reading my report.. hiv 1nd 2.combo test cmia, hepatitis b surface,antiagen
,hepatities c,anti nuclear antibody factor something like that and some liver and kidney panels test. and blood count

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 8 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for your followup

From XXXXXXX Forum I apologize for the error in user selected category

Anyway I am a General Surgeon in practice for last 23 years and would be able to do justice to your issue [Though have a special liking for Gastroentrology]

Your replies and information provided is appreciated

It is good to know that it is not increasing fast ,nor there is any history of injury , It appears to be a Lipoma [I would rule out a lymphnode as the information you provided does not point to the same] and a high resolution ultrasound would definitely help

Till you get an Ultrasound done - reassure yourself
Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries

ok thanks ! i will get it done.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 minute later
Thanks for the information
Do Keep updated with the reports

Get Well Soon