Lump outside knee after fall, does not pain or restrict movement. Have iced it. Is it safe for me to go to bed?

Infertility Specialist
I tripped about an hour was not a hard fall but I immediately developed a lump on the outside of my right knee...does not hurt or restrict my movement.I have been icing it safe for me to go to bed, it is 4 am!!!!or better to stay up for a while?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

I have read your problem and I understand your concerns. The lump (swelling) appears to be just external injury. There will be collection of small amount of blood (hematoma) after a fall. This will be associated with certain amount of edema (swelling with collection of fluid). Hence this is not a major injury and the treatment of applying ice you have used was correct.

You don’t need any more treatment as of now since there are no other symptoms. You can go back to sleep peacefully.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available to answer any other queries you have.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol