Lump on windpipe that hurts to touch, numbness in jaw, nausea and upset stomach. What is this related to?

ENT Specialist
I have a lump on the left side of my windpipe that hurts to the touch. Having slight numbness in left jaw. For a while now, I have not been able to stand anything touching my neck at all (i.e. clothing or anything). I am also having nausea and upset stomach. Very fatigued. Any ideas? Could these be connected and should I see a doctor? If so, what kind?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

The lump on the (L) side of your neck could be a mere lymph node with inflammation, which is termed as lymphadenitis.

Lymphadenitis is a response to benign, local, or generalized infections (mostly of viral pathology and self -limiting). In the process of infection, it may affect a single node or a group of nodes in the same region and which may be either unilateral or bilateral.

The commonest cause of enlargement of the lymph nodes in the neck is an hence the lymph nodes also disappear once the infection resolves. In the former situation, it is usually not very troublesome, but, if it is super added with bacterial infection or malignancy then it requires appropriate treatment of the cause.

Most of the above symptoms mentioned by you could be related to the either acute URTI or non-specific infection in the neck. Do not worry! You need to consult your doctor for a thorough examination of the throat and neck. This can be easily managed with appropriate antibiotics and symptomatic medicines.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Lump on windpipe that hurts to touch, numbness in jaw, nausea and upset stomach. What is this related to? 13 hours later
Thanks so much for contacting me back. Have had some different symptoms as well today, which include:

Very cold
Very tired
Gas and Heartburn
shoulder blade pain (left)
minor tingling in left arm and jaw (Heavy feeling in arm and light feeling in left jaw)
chest tightness
sternum sore (especially to the touch)
Lump on left side of windpipe
Cannot stand to have anything touch neck (feel like choking with slightest touch)

Know I am stepping outside of your area, just not sure what is related to what.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back

Acute lymphadenitis can sometimes be very painful to touch depending upon the severity of inflammation. Please do not worry! This is can be cured easily

Feeling of cold and tiredness could be due to upper symptoms such as gas, heart burn, bloating of the abdomen, nausea, shoulder blade pain (left) are the features of acid reflux disease which worsens during the episodes of stress and depression.

Undue stress will stimulate the production of acid and excessive acid production causes bloating of the abdomen. In those individuals whose esophageal sphincters are lax, the reflux of the acid contents into the esophagus and throat causes irritation in the throat and heart burn. The flow of gastric contents into the esophagus irritates the mucosa which stimulates the related nerves causing spasm of the chest muscles and transfer of the pain to the inter-scapular region.

Hence I would suggest you to consult a good ENT specialist for a complete examination and management.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon