Lump on upper back near neck, tugging. Family history of cancer. Is it dangerous?

I have a small lump on my upper back near my neck and two weeks ago I could feel it sort of tugging and pulling... Now it has shrunk in size but I can still feel it tugging. I have a lot of cancer in my immediate family. Should I have it looked at? Possibly removed?
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

From the symptoms three possibilities are coming to my mind. They are:

1)     It can be a swollen lymph node. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Other causes include allergic reactions or some malignancy.

2)     Second possibility is of any cyst which is a small cystic swelling filled with a soft, whitish brown material called sebum that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. It can regress in size when the sebum decreases.

3)     Third possibility is of any benign tumor.

Apply warm compresses on the lump as if it is a swollen lymph node or a cyst, it should gradually regress in size.

However the best test for confirmation of this lump is a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) of the lump which should be got done after consulting a physician. FNAB is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. Then the material is looked under the microscope to confirm the diagnosis. You can get it done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.