Lump on tibia, leg injury, getting larger, negative planar x-ray. Causes ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a lump on my left tibia. It is painless, feels osseous, and seems to be contiguous with the tibial tuberosity. Onset/Appearance in early/mid XXXXXXX of this year. Remember bumping that leg area a few days prior to first noticing the lump. Negative planar x-ray in August. Noticed yesterday that the lump is larger, both width and depth/projection. What could this be? Who do I see to obtain a differential diagnosis? I am a 58 year old male in good health. Thank you in advance.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 15 minutes later

You have provided a good information about your problem, but I would like to know few more setails as it will help me suggesting you better.

1. Do you have any weight loss?

2. Do you have any redness of skin, increased warmth over the lump?

3. Is there any problem with urine and stools, any constipation?

4. Do you have any abdominal pain, bone pain elsewhere in the body?

5. Do you have any increased warmth of the legs?

As you have mentioned, tibial tuberosity is situated in the upper part of the tibia. Usually Adamantinoma is common cause of swelling in the upper part of tibia but common only in age group 20-50 years. The differential diagnosis could be varied among Fibrous Dysplasia, Osteoid Osteoma, etc.

For a proper diagnosis, Antero-posterior and lateral X-rays are required of the left leg. If diagnosis is not made, Computed tomogram (CT scan) may be required and possible bone scan may be required to look for area of activity.

You may take pain killer under medical supervision if pain develops. Be careful while walking to avoid bumping over the lump which may cause possible fracture at that site if it is weak. Eat diet XXXXXXX in protein and calcium like cereals, pulses, chicken, eggs, lean meat, also plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink enough water. Do daily brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes to encourage weight loss which will be helpful in Hypothyroidism.

You may consult an Orthopaedician and get a thorough examination and required tests as well for a well formulated diagnosis and appropriate management.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Lump on tibia, leg injury, getting larger, negative planar x-ray. Causes ? 4 hours later
Thank you for your reply. For each of your questions asked under #'s 1 through of your reply, the answer is no. Per my internist, I have scheduled an appointment with an orthopedic physician. Best Regards.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 4 minutes later
Hi again,

Since you do not have any of the above conditions which were asked in the questions, it is possibly a 'benign lesion' which can be treated with relatively few complications.

A thorough examination and relevant investigations will help us rule out other possible causes.

Thanks again for posting your query.