Lump on throat under jaw line. It isn't painful. Why does it move when touched?

A lump the size of a large marble on left side of throat under my jaw line. It isn't painful and it moves around if I touch it.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 23 minutes later

I believe the more information a person gives the better is the doctor's reply, so please do not mind in answering the following:
1. From how long is it present?
2. Is it increasing in size?
3. Do you have any throat infection, cold, illness?
4. Any difficulty in swallowing?

Most frequently such lumps or swellings are caused due to enlarged lymph nodes. They can be caused by bacterial or viral infections like viral pharyngitis, Strep throat, tonsillitis, Mumps, infectious mononucleosis, Rubella (German measles) and so on.

I can give you further information about the nature of the problem after receiving answers to my questions.

Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Lump on throat under jaw line. It isn't painful. Why does it move when touched? 42 minutes later
I noticed it XXXXXXX 28th.
not sure if the size has increased I can't leave it alone cuz im so afraid its cancer
no colds or anything
its not hard ti swallow foods or drinks but sometimes it feels hard to just swallow normal.
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Do not get worried, unless it is proven it is cancerous by a biopsy or test it is most likely benign. Not all lumps are cancerous.

Since you do not have any other symptoms, it can be due to swollen lymph node (commonest cause), cyst or any thyroid condition.

You will definitely need to get it examined by a physician and do not worry, it is treatable most of the times.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow ups. Please accept my answer if you have no follow ups.