Lump on the right side of chest muscle. What is the cause of this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
When I tense my chest muscles I notice a lump on my right side high up above my pec. I've been doing weights recently and can't tell if it's muscle or not. It's not the same on the other side. When I'm relaxed there is no lump, it's only when I tense and moved arm upwards that it emerges. It does not hurt at all.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
A lump above the pectorals on tensing the muscles can be a benign muscle swelling like fibroma or a lymph node swelling. A direct examination will help in diagnosis.
Most of the times it is a benign growth and does not need any treatment.
For the confirmation of diagnosis, you need to get this lump examined from a doctor and get a MRI scan for any soft tissue growth and a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) done.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.