Lump on the knee, no pain, should be concerned?

I noticed a very hard pea sized lump on the bone near my knee. I think it is my tibia??? It doesn't hurt at all, but it is quite noticeable. I am a runner. Is this something I should be concerned about? I am 36 years old and 5'2" tall and about 110 pounds.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

A pea sized bony hard lump on your knee can be-
1. Tibial tuberosity- it is a part of the tibia bone and since it is subcutaneous it can be more prominent specially in runners.
2. A sesamoid bone formed in the tendon of quadriceps.
3. A sebaceous cyst- a swelling in the skin not attached to bone.
4. A foreign body.

You can get an X-ray of the knee joint done to find out the cause of such a hard swelling. You can consult an Orthopaedic surgeon accordingly.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.