Lump on spine, growing in size, painful. What could this be?

Question
hi i am a 23 yr old girl. i hav a hard non moveable lump on top of my spine.it feels like a big round bone and its getting bigger over time. i hav it around a year now. it is very painful at the minute the pain is going through my spine and its very hard to sleep at night. the lump is very noticeable when i lean over. what could it be
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 3 hours later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole) and am glad to address to your query here.

Could you please specify where exactly is the lump?
Does it have smooth margins or irregular?
Is there any discoloration there? Are there dilated enlarged vessels on it?
Is the skin intact/ thinned out?
Does it hurt when pressed on it?
Do you have any fever, weight loss?
Was any evaluation, Xray done so far?

It could be a bony overgrowth, a soft tissue tumour and a cancer.

But I can be sure only when I receive additional info as above.
It would greatly help if you could upload a photo of the lump here using the uploading service available on this site just below the text box. You can email the reports / scans to
YYYY@YYYY      with subject- (Attn: Dr. Prasad Akole)

You may get an Xray of the area done after consulting your doctor. An MRI is more informative if felt necessary on examination

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole
Good Luck!

Follow-up: Lump on spine, growing in size, painful. What could this be? 21 minutes later
the lump is between my shoulder blades on top of my spine. there is no dis colouring no vessels on it. no fever or weight loss. visited my gp awhile back nd was told could be a cause of bad posture, it looks like a hump. it has got bigger very quick and very painful.

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 11 minutes later
Such painful, fast growing, immobile hump can not be due to bad posture.
It is likely to be a bony tumour like sarcoma (a kind of cancer) or a benign bone growth.
It could also be a rapidly worsening kyphotic deformity of the spine (and rib cage)/ a gibbus.

I would advise a thorough evaluation by an orthopedic expert, an Xray of the chest and spine- AP and lateral views, SOS an MRI, blood work.

Do you have any weakness in the limbs/ legs?
Can you straighten up yourself like normals? Does the deformity reduce when you straighten your spine?
A photo would be very useful to me.

You can start simple painkillers like acetaminophen upto 1 gram 4 times a day for pain.

It helps us to improve continuously if you could please write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!

Follow-up: Lump on spine, growing in size, painful. What could this be? 5 minutes later
no i do not have any weakness in my legs and limps. i cant not stand up completly straight. i find it hard to tilt my head back. its not a constant pain it comes and goes but causes my neck to be stiff and very hard to sleep at night with the pain
the drformity reduces when i stand up straight and when i lean over it sticks out

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 8 minutes later
Thanks for the add-on.

So, it is not causing a serious impingement on the spinal nerves yet.

It is likely a bony deformity and is worsening.

My advice remains the same.
Keep a watch on being breathless, having weakness/ limping in the limbs, rapid increase in size.
Get an early expert evaluation.

I would be glad to help if needed.
You can directly get to me at http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole