Lump on right collar bone, hoarse voice, scratchy throat. Blood test done. Penicillin taken. No relief. Treatment?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have a question about a lump over my right collarbone. My voice has been hoarse for 6 wks now and 4 weeks ago I noticed a moveable lump above my rt collarbone. 10 days doc thought it was infection. 10 days of penicillin 250mg 4x daily and a blood test to check for mono(glandular fever) I am worse and blood test was neg. Went to diff doc who says since it is rounded and mobile he believes it is a cyst that is affecting my vocal chords. But have to go to a speciist to have a cam down my throat to verify. If I can't get in to the specialist before 2 wks I have to go back to the doc to get my lump chkd. Now tonight my throat is so scratchy, feels like I have to keep clearing my throat and my voice is nearly gone! Could all this be from a cyst on my lymphnode above my collarbone or is the doc off base :( I am so scared!
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 33 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. If you had fever, the lump is most likely to be a lymph node. There are more than 300 lymph nodes normally present in the Head and Neck region and they usually do not regress to their normal size after inflammation / infection.

2. A Laryngocele will be a little higher up in the neck and may be compressible. This is a possibility as your voice has changed. A close up image of this swelling will be of help if you can share it here.

3. A plain set of Neck X-rays, a Barium Swallow Study and a Neck Ultrasound will help diagnose the swelling while you are waiting for your Specialist's appointment. Your physician should be able to organize these investigations. An XXXXXXX exam alone may not pick up all the signs. An FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) may be required later.

4. A Left sided, hard, irregular, fixed lymph node is more ominous of abdominal cancer (Troisier's Sign or Virchow's Node). Fortunately, your lump is on the right side, rounded and mobile. Hence there is less cause for worry. Has your physician mentioned the consistency of the lump?

5. You may share your test results here for further advise on treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Lump on right collar bone, hoarse voice, scratchy throat. Blood test done. Penicillin taken. No relief. Treatment? 12 hours later
I can’t show a photo of the lump as it is literally under the skin above my right collarbone and if I move it is on top. In fact I had to show the doc where it was because when he pressed to find it it moved. I measured it… it is rounded and solid to me though the doc said it is firm outside but not in? I think it is hard but maybe because he was squeezing it much harder than I did he thought it was softer inside. It is definitely not squishy at all I can say that. I think what worries me the most is not the lump as such… because I am prone to cysts… it’s the fact that my voice is so affected. I don’t smoke, drink, do drugs nothing! I have no fever. Not losing weight (I read that Cancer can cause that) … I do feel tired but I feel tired most days anyway as I have 2 young children. The fact that the lump is rounded (2cm width) and about an inch long I guess, and mobile is that a good sign that this is not cancer? The doc said he is quite sure it is a cyst. How does he know by feeling this? Why would my voice/throat be getting worse? I feel like I have a cold in my throat oddly enough but this didn’t start until last night. I did take 2 ibuprofen for my throat which seems to be helping. Thanks for any advice. I just don’t want to panic :(

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. If you can speed up your imaging tests, just a Neck Ultrasound and Neck X-rays, you and your physician will have a fairly accurate idea of what we are dealing with.

2. Palpation of a mass does give your doctors some idea about the consistency. However it has to be backed up with Imaging and Cytology.

3. I must emphasize that it appears to be a benign mass.

Regards.