Lump on neck, twitching on lower lip, tinnitus. Lab results showed vit D insufficient. Any thoughts?

Infertility Specialist
I am a 40 year old, white female. I went to dr. because I have had a lump on the upper left side of my neck for several months. (Almost behind my ear, but further back and a little lower) For the last month, I have had some slight twitching on my lower lip and tinnitus. My lab results showed a platelet count of 134 and MPV of 10.3. It also indicated that I am vitamin D insufficient (26 ng/mL). Any thoughts? I have a follow up visit with my dr., but it is in a month.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 hours later

I have read your report and history.

The lump you are describing could be pobably a lymph node. Lymph nodes get enlarged when there is any infection of that region. But it can only be confirmed after examining it. I believe your doctor can confirm it.

The twitching of lips and tinnitus could be secondary to pressure effects of the lump. This can be confirmed after checking the extnet of the lump and its depth. Please convey this history to your doctor during examination of your lump.

Your lab results show marginal increase in MPV and marginal decrease in vitamin D. Let me reassure you that MPV is not a major cause of worry. Since vitamin D is low, I suggest you consume more calcium XXXXXXX foods like milk. You can also take calcium suppliments which your doctor can prescribe you during your visit.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available to answer any other queries you have. If no more queries, please accept my answer & close this discussion.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Lump on neck, twitching on lower lip, tinnitus. Lab results showed vit D insufficient. Any thoughts? 13 hours later
Do my lab results indicate evidence of any infection? If not, should any further tests be done? When do you know when a lymph node that has been swollen for at least 6 months is not lymphoma or something serious?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 36 minutes later
Hi and thanks for writing back.

Your reports does not indicate infection.

Lymphoma and other similar condition are usually associated with multiple lymphnode swelling and not isolated swelling. So no need to worry. Yet, histopathological studies done following biopsy of the affected node can reveal the true pathology.

Hence I encourage you to visit your physician for a careful physical examination. If needed, your doctor can plan for excision biopsy of the node.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
If all your queries are addressed, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health.