Lump on neck, pressure on throat. Why is there pressure in ears? What is it?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi I have a lump approx 40mm diameter in RH side of my neck. Not painful. It applies a very slight pressure to my throat. My voice is occasionally hoarse over the last 6 months. Only noticed the lump a week ago. I feel pressure in my ears whn my voice is hoarse.
What would this problem be?
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The exact location of the lump, it's exact size and characteristics will help identify the cause. Is it in the upper, middle or lower Rt. side of the neck? Does it move on swallowing or protrusion of the tongue? Is it soft, firm or hard? Is the overlying skin normal or discolored? Is it growing in size? Is it pulsatile? Is it compressible? Is it possible to share a close up image here?

2. The most common cause will be an inflamed lymph node (there are about 300 lymph nodes normally present in the head and neck region). Other painless lumps include the salivary glands, thyroid nodules, laryngoceles, cysts, bursas, lipomas, and so on.

3. Get a physician's opinion. Get Neck X-rays and an Ultrasound of the Neck done by a Radiologist. Sometimes a CT Neck Scan will be advised to rule out deeper extensions. A FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) by a Pathologist will settle the diagnosis.

4. Get a videolaryngosocpy done. This is important as hoarseness is present.

5. The pressure in your ears is probably a referred sensation.

6. Kindly let me know the results of your tests. This will help in suggesting further treatment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Lump on neck, pressure on throat. Why is there pressure in ears? What is it? 48 minutes later
Thanks Dr.
I have an appointment for Ultrasound tommorrow.
The lump does not move on swallowing or poking tongue out.
The lump sits about 20mm below RH Jaw line and forward of the neck muscle and sits in between neck muscle and the larynx.
The lump is reasonably firm in the middle 20mm centre. The outer 10mm of the lump is compressible.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 11 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Seems most likely to be a lymph node, salivary gland or a laryngocele. Softer swellings may also be cystic.

2. The Ultrasound will settle the issue. Rarer conditions are best discussed after the USG and FNAC.

3. Get a videolaryngosocpy done.

4. Kindly let me know the results of your tests. This will help in suggesting further treatment.

Regards.