Lump on neck. Suspected for goiter. Normal thyroid function and abnormal liver function. Any ideas?

Sep 2012

i am 70..not been ill ever..last time i went to the doctors it was when i was pregnant..47 years ago!..i have lump in my neck..size of golf ball...had camera up my nose and docotr looked at neck..said it maybe goiter..tyroid function came back ok..but showed abnormal liver functon...i feel weell
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 20 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, first of all, your description indicates a lump in the thyroid region of your neck.

This type of lump may occur in many conditions. Some of them are goiter, an enlarged lymph node, a thyroglossal cyst, any other cystic lesion, an enlarged salivary gland.

To differentiate these conditions, clinical examination is the most important part. The exact size, shape of the lump, position, consistency, mobility, relationship with other structure, movement with deglutition, movement with protrusion of tongue are very important clinical findings.

So, without performing any clinical examination it is impossible to tell exactly what it is. I think you will understand.

But, from your description, I am wondering why any Fine needle aspiration or Excisional biopsy has not been done yet? FNAC is very much helpful. When FNAC fails, excisional biopsy should be performed.

In your age group, this type of swelling should be dealt with high importance. In your case, normal thyroid function test does not rule out any thyroid abnormality. In very early stage of any thyroid problem, the thyroid profile remains normal. Here an ultrasound scan of the thyroid region will be very helpful.

Your liver problem which was found incidentally, is different from this. That may be a coincidence. But, in some rare diseases, both liver abnormality and this type of lesion can be seen.

So, you need more meticulous investigation. Consult with your treating doctor for it.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Lump on neck. Suspected for goiter. Normal thyroid function and abnormal liver function. Any ideas? 1 hour later
hello thankyou..but what kind of diseases?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 11 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Sorry for delay in giving reply.

Look, I meant to say about the malignant condition. It is not possible to say with confirmation. But that possibility should be ruled out by performing the investigations I have mentioned.

So, consult with your treating doctor about it.

Hope you have your answers.