Lump on left testicle, pain in testical area, cyst. Is it cancerous?

Lump on left testicle

I'm a 24 year old American living in China. A few months ago I found a lump on my left testicle. When I went to the doctor he was unable to find the lump. I had an ultrasound and it came back ok. The ultrasound was performed by a technician certified in China, at an international clinic (My doctor was from New Zealand) I point this out because the doctors in the clinic have hinted that the quality of the training of the chinese workers isn't always as high as in the west. The ultrasound technician didn't move my testicles or scrotum with his hand, he just moved the ultrasound wand around them. I don't know if this is standard, I just included it in case it is relevant in terms of the accuracy of the sonogram, I imagine one could get a better image by manipulating the testicles, especially since they aren't in a fixed position, but this is, of course, an uneducated opinion. He said he found a cyst on my left testicle. The doctor said it was no big deal.

A few months have past and I started having pain in that area, it seemed to be in my left testicle, a sort of dull ache. But the most pronounced pain was in my pelvis, up an inch or so from the base of my penis and about an inch or so to the left of my body (my left) The pain in the area comes together, it's most distinguishable in the pelvis but the ache spreads to the testicle too. I took a shower and inspected the left testicle, and found a lump there, I'm pretty sure it's the same one as before, it seems more pronounced. There was pain while I manipulated it, but I'm not sure if that just came from moving my testicles around a lot. It wasn't so much pain like touching a bruise or a cut, it was more like the aching of the area.
I inspected the area a bit more, I feel like their might be a tube running to the lump. Is it possible I'm feeling the bottom of the epididymis? Does that area ever swell?

Is it possible to mistake something cancerous for a cyst in an ultrasound? Or can I trust that it's a cyst?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 1 hour later

There is a good possibility that this is an epididdymal cyst which is causing the pain and usually ultrasound are highly specific and sensitive.They are benign and do not usually require treatment.

However, you should still get examined to rule out hernia as your description of the site is almost similar to that of the hernial orifice.

Usually no active intervention needs to be done for epididymal cyst.

However, if it pains a lot then surgical treatment can be offered. This is best for large or symptomatic epididymal cysts.

Torsion (twisting)of the cyst can occur but is extremely rare with only a handful of cases reported. They do not become infected.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.