Lump on left cheek, subsided with medication. Recurring again. MRI states accumulation of fats. Advice ?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi....I had a lump on my left cheek and got subsuded with the help of medicine with in 7-8 days. reccured after 2 months and then i had ultrasound and MRI for the same. It was stated has "accumulation of fats" in the MRI and got subsided with the help of anti-biotic medine. I felt no pain and didn;t have temperature during the swelling.

Kindly advise the reason for this swelling in my left cheek and reason for reccurence.

Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 20 minutes later
Your clinical history and MRI findings do not correlate with each other.
Without the MRI findings the most probable cause for your lump seems to be an infection of the skin & soft tissue of the cheeks.
In case of infection( folliculitis, abscess ) etc the lump may subside with antibiotic treatment and might recurr due to various reasons like low immunity, diabetes, oily or sensitive skin or dental irritation( if lump inside the cheek )
However two points are against this diagnosis , the MRI and that it was painless though rarely the explanation can be as follows
1. MRI identifies structure depending on their density and fatty tissue present in the cheek along with the inflammatory fluid in the swelling can make the appearance
2. Deeper tissue planes might be not very sensitive to pain unless the swelling is very big or puts pressure on the surrounding .

So in your case the best person to judge the diagnosis would be your treating physician who must have thoroughly examined the lesion and can correlate it with investigations.
However if it recurs still then I would advise you to consult a surgeon and get a biosy done to confirm the exact diagnosis & accordingly cure it .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.