Lump on knee when extending it, done icing, no pain, cannot fully extend knee. Any advice is appreciated

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 56 years old and very athletic with no major knee injuries. Approx 2 weeks ago my daughter struck my knee with her knee and if felt like it slightly hyperextended my knee. I did not hear any noise from the knee and it was not particularly painful, but noticable. Two days later after rowing a canoe for over 2 hours, I got out of the canoe and could not fully extend my knee. There was and still is (2 weeks later) a large 'lump' on the posterior inside of my knee that is much more pronounced when I extend my knee. Over the past 2 weeks I have iced the area and have done only moderate exercise. The knee is not painful, but I cannot extend it to the fullest and therefore it is uncomfortable when walking or even gently jogging. I went to my chiropracter yestersay and he gently manipulted the knee with immediate notable improvement in extension. However, the improvement was short lived and actually today my abililty to extend my knee has decreased. I am very frustrated as I do not have throbbing pain, but my major compaint is an inability to extend my leg due to the large lump that appears when I try to do so. Any advice would be appreciated.
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
From your description it seems that you have injured some XXXXXXX structures of your knee.
It can be an injury to anterior/posterior cruciate ligament, medial/lateral collateral ligament, medial and lateral menisci, joint capsule, synovium, crossing muscles, bone cartilage and bone itself. It needs proper clinical examination and relevant investigations to diagnose which among these is hurt. All these are best visualized on MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging).

I encourage you to consult an orthopedician for a proper examination and investigations so that the proper treatment can be initiated soon. A pair of knee supports can add to stability and hence decrease the swelling. Avoid weight bearing on the knee.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.