Lump on knee cap after fall, painful to touch. What is wrong?

Question
Hi, my names AAAA

I fell directly on my knee cap almost a yr ago and I still have a lump. From your view it would start on the bottom right side of my knee cap, move about a half inch tithe right and travel about halfway up my patella. It is very painful to touch, even if you go to a non painful part of my knee and stretch the skin it hurts bery bad, but not at all while I walk or bend my leg. It also does not ache and is not warm to touch. I've let it go because of no insurance but I'm really wondering what the heck could be wrong with me. Thanks a lot if you can help :)
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 4 hours later
Dear friend,

I have few important questions for you.
Is it a hard or a soft lump?
Is it discoloured?
If hard , most likely it is a fractured patellar segment. Do you have any details of injury and treatment?

An Xray would be an easy way to see what it is.

please revert with any more description of it, if you feel is different.

Follow-up: Lump on knee cap after fall, painful to touch. What is wrong? 17 hours later
It is a hard lump. Can it be treated? If so what will be done? Thanks a lot :)

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 12 minutes later
Dear friend,

Thanks for reverting.

If it is a hard lump not hurting while walking, it is most likely a fractured patellar piece from non-weight bearing area.

Unusually there may be organised/calcified hematoma (small bleed) there.

If you can upload a clear photo of the lump on the webpage using the site's uploading feature to your right near the text box., it would greatly help.

Getting an X-ray done will answer our doubt. X-ray knee AP and lateral views of the affected side.

Usually minor patellar fractures do not need much treatment.

If confirmed, may ask an orthopaedic surgeon there about further course of action.

Condition is not worrisome.

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress.
Good Luck !

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily.

May I request for your rating and review of this answer when you accept the answer and close the query (if there are no more follow up questions)?

Thank you !