Lump on forehead, not cyst or lipoma. Can you speculate on what the problem might be?

Oncologist
Question
My 24-year old son has a lump on his upper forehead (under the hairline) which is not a cyst nor a lipoma. CAT Scan suggests something more serious but we don't have specific information as yet. Can you speculate on what the problem might be?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 7 hours later
I need to know a number of things before I can really speculate on the nature of the lump. The size of the lump, how does it feel like, is it fixed to the bone and is it painful, these are all very important.

Please upload the CAT scan report if it is with you.

Even if it is not a dermoid cyst or lipoma, there are many other benign conditions like neurofibroma, osteoma, etc. You don't necessarily need to panic at this stage. We may also need a biopsy for a final confirmation. It is a simple test but very useful in these circumstances.

If you can send me the additional information, I may be able to guide you better.

Follow-up: Lump on forehead, not cyst or lipoma. Can you speculate on what the problem might be? 1 hour later
I will get you the answers to your questions about the size of the lump, how its feels, is it attached to the bone. It is not painful just annoying. I will know the results of the CAT Scan tomorrow and will at least report them, even if I cannot send you the actual scan.

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
Yes, that would be nice.

I don't need the scan but the report provided by the radiologist.

I shall wait for your response.

Follow-up: Lump on forehead, not cyst or lipoma. Can you speculate on what the problem might be? 13 hours later
I have sent the CAT Scan for my son XXXXXXX Mann. The radiological diagnosis is not a good one though the ENT man who showed it to us is not convinced that the problem is a osteosarcoma.

I'm not sure how to forward the scan report to you.

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 8 hours later
Hello.

Osteosarcoma on the forehead is extremely rare. I don't think that should be the diagnosis in your son's case.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page.

You can also mail it to me at YYYY@YYYY with Subject as Attn: to Dr. Indranil Ghosh.

Awaiting your report.

Regards.