Lump on chin on collar bone, sore mouth, sore throat, painful, hoarse voice. Could it be cancer?

Hi, I have a soft lump under my chin on the collar bone size of a small XXXXXXX Sore mouth, sore throat, all are very painfull, I am very - gittery my voice has changed to hoarsy voice and irritating. etc. What could be wrong -- cancer runs in my maternal side -- could it be cancer
I have had these symtoms for around a mounth.
I have more symtoms
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 16 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

If the painful enlarged swelling in the neck is present for a month, possibilities are many.

If you can answer a few questions, I can be more specific in my answer.

Do you have fever, breathlessness, redness over the swelling?
Are the margins of the tumour well demarcated, smooth or irregular?
Does the mass move with swallowing up and down?
Does it have dilated veins over it?
Is it stony hard or soft?
Is swallowing painful?
Is breathing noisy?

It would greatly help if you could upload a photo of the swelling here using the uploading service available on this site just below the text box. You can email the reports / images to
with subject- (Attn: Dr. Prasad Akole)

If there is fever, it could be a submental abscess, lymph node.
If it is hard, irregular, fixed, cancer needs to be ruled out.

Thyroid tumour, soft tissue tumours, lymph nodes, abscess (pus) are possibilities.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!
Follow-up: Lump on chin on collar bone, sore mouth, sore throat, painful, hoarse voice. Could it be cancer? 21 minutes later
by Dr. XXXXXXX Akole ,

It is on the right side of the collar bone, And SOFT---It seems like it continues to the inside of my throat. I have difficulty swallowing and breathing. Yes, I have been sick at least a month and thought I had a touch of the flu
No temperture

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 9 hours later
Thanks for the update.
It is unlikely to be a cancer.
If you never had fever, an infection is unlikely.

There are many possibilities like mentioned above. answers to remaining questions may give me some clue.
A photo if loaded, will be very valuable.

I would advise a surgical opinion and evaluation. An ultrasound may be needed.
You should also do a basic lab like hemogram, urine routine, Xray chest.
Please keep me updated. Do not delay as you have difficulty swallowing and breathing. It can get serious.