Lump on chest, sore, pimple, shingles, over weight

I have a lump on my chest, more or less central but a little to the left side, just above the nipple line. It is sore to the touch. It is kind of like a big pimple but a little bigger. Noticed it a few days ago. Is it something I should be worried about. About 1-2 months ago I had shingles, which seemed to heal pretty quick with medication. I am 42yr old male, overweight and smoker. Should I try to pop it? Thanks
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 19 minutes later

You have mentioned that the lump is over your chest just above nipple line slightly left of midline. And its sore.

Multiple conditions can present this way.
It could be a folliculitis or a sebaceous cyst.
Some times, costochondritis (Inflammation of the cartilage of rib cage) can produce such symptoms.

If you can send few pictures of your, it will help me to give a specific advice.
You can mail them to me at YYYY@YYYY with subject Attn: Dr Kiran Kumar. Please confirm mailing of the pictures by writing here so that I can reply you back at the earliest.

However, I assure you that its not related to your shingles.
Also, if its red and painful, you might need a course of antibiotics.
Do consult your physician and get your self examined.

Please mail your pictures as this would help me in suggesting you better.

Awaiting your response.

Thanks and Regards,

Dr Kiran Kumar.