Lump on cervix, pap smear. How dangerous?

My fiance had a Pap smear today and a lump the size of a dime was found on her cervix. I need a straight answer here. How bad is this? I cant find any good info on this and I'm scared.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
Lump in cervix may be benign (not of major concern, like polyp) or cancerous or cancer-in-situ (nascent stage for cancer). The appearance of the lump says a lot. For example, a smooth soft swelling may be a polyp, whereas an irregular friable thing is more suggestive of cancer.

I need to know the age of your fiancée because in young women it is more often benign.

I am sure that if the physician suspected anything serious he/she must have done a biopsy for confirmation. It would provide answer to your questions.

If you could send me further details about the lump then I may be able to guide you better.

Best wishes,