Lump on calf muscle,protrusion,painful

Hi I have a lump on my calf muscle, it is slightly protruded but it not too firm and I can flatten it under pressure, I have been to doctors about 3 months ago and she said come back if it changes I am not sure if it is bigger or if I am just panicking again
I forgot to say it does ache slightly but maybe because I keep poking at it thankyou
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query.

The lump in question in the calf could originate from the following tissues and can include the given examples.

1. Bony lesions can include bone tumors, cartilaginous outgrowths, etc.

2. Muscle hyperplasias or tumors, Muscle segment tears, etc.

3. Cysts arising from tendons

4. Hematomas, vascular tumors

5. Lipomas

Based on the history given alone, the most probable cause could be a lipoma or a cystic lesion.

You might consult with your doctor who can do a few tests including a X-ray or a MRI which can give a clear diagnosis of what the lump could be.

Once this is done, treatment would be based on the actual diagnosis.

In case of lipoma, it can be excised with a small procedure, OR in case of a cyst, it can be reduced in size with a needle aspiration or removed completely by excising it.

To help you more, It will be very helpful if you can send me a picture of the lump.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that would give a better idea for me.

Please make sure that you focus the whole calf in one picture showing the relative location of the swelling.

I would like to provide you with specific suggestions after looking at the photo.

Awaiting your response.‎

Dr Anvekar.