Lump on both sides of the neck, no pain, no family history of cancer

General Surgeon
I have a lump on both sides of my neck there in the middle two on my left side and they dont hurt im just extremely worried im 18 male no history of cancer in my family
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 13 hours later

Lumps in the neck of youngsters, without any family history of cancer or malignancy are quite common and the cause is usually benign in nature.

Some times the lump in the neck may be the presentation of more serious disease, e.g. malignancy or chronic infection.

So, a thorough assessment, investigations for diagnosis and proper treatment is essential.

Inflammatory, congenital and traumatic causes are much more common in younger peoples but still neoplasm must be ruled out.

Lumps of less than three weeks' periods are mostly self-limiting infection and do not require cumbersome investigation, but needs close regular monitoring weekly or fortnightly .

Painless non hurting lump on both sides of neck are most commonly lymph nodes.

Depending upon the consistency & mobility there can be many causes of lymph nodes enlargement

They can be tender, fibrous, hard or rubbery, fixed or mobile,so the cause of there enlargement differ.

Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma or Hodgkin's disease can also present in this way and painless swelling may be the only sign and symptom.

Cervical tubercular lymphadenopathy is less common in your country.

In tuberculosis also cervical nodes get enlarged and matted together.

Ultrasound of neck swelling or FNAC or excision biopsy ( last resort) can give the final verdict or diagnosis. CT scan and MRI along with complete blood examination may make diagnosis easy & early.

If the lumps are superficial or intradermal it suggests of sebaceous cyst with a central punctum, if soft mobile ,borders slippery it suggests of lipoma ,but lipoma rarely occur on both sides of neck.

So, detailed examination by palpation of the lymph nodes of the head and neck is essential .

Swelling of sub-mandibular glands ,parotid gland can also some time present with bilateral neck swelling.

So they needs complete examination.

‘Hope I have answered your query,

I will be available to answer your follow up queries,