Ask a Dentist   »  

Lump on back of tongue and weight gain

ENT Specialist
I have a small lump on the back right side of my tongue. I’ve had this for circa 10 weeks and during this time I have put on weight
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The exact location of the lump, it's exact size and characteristics will help identify the cause. Is it soft, firm or hard? Is the overlying tongue normal, discolored or coated? Is it sensitive or numb? Did you bite your tongue or injure it while brushing or repeated palpation? Is there any chance of a foreign body? You may share a close-up image here.

2. If it is sensitive and coated, you may use medical grade liquid glycerine and a topical anti-fungal oral paint for super-added fungal or yeast infection.

3. Multi-vitamins and anti-oxidants will help. Any acid reflux, if present must be controlled. Any cause for immuno-supression must be ruled out.

4. A differential will include mostly benign conditions such as Geographic Tongue (Benign migratory Glossitis), Oral Lichen Planus, Thyroglossal remnant, Lingual Thyroid, Ligual Tonsil hypertrophy, chronic infections such as Tuberculosis, Gumma, Granular Cell tumor and so on. A Tongue Doppler Study and Neck Ultrasound will help. Scanning and biopsy will only be required if this condition spreads or increases in size.

5. The simplest course of action will be to get an oral examination and a dental opinion. If these are normal, only regular follow-up is required. Your doctor will have to inspect and palpate the area and then advise further investigations as required. Imaging and an FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) or Biopsy will settle the issue in case of doubt.

6. You must check your thyroid levels if you are putting on weight. What is your age? Do you have any significant medical history?

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.