Lump on back of neck, almond shaped neck, ear infection. Can this be tumour, advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have noticed a lump on the back of my neck. The lump is shaped like a almond. It is on the right side of my neck just below my hairline. It does not hurt, nor does it move. Just concerned that it is there at all. I have not had any headaches or pain. I have had an on going ear infection. Could this be a tumor of some sort?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 29 minutes later
Hi there.

You have provided with good information and I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Since when is the lump present ?

Is the lump smooth and rubbery ? Are there any other such lumps or swellings over your body, including front and sides of neck ?

Do you have any problem with your scalp ? Any pain, infection in the scalp ?

Any recent weight loss, fever ?

According to the history provided, it most probably is a lymph node swelling just below your hairline. It could be due to variety of causes but commonly due to infections and inflammation of scalp or nearby structures.

Regarding ear infection, usually lymph node enlargement occurs in front or behind the affected ear first.

Usually scalp infections cause lymph node swelling near the hairline.

Other causes could be subcutaneous swellings like fat collection or lipoma, fibroma, etc.

It is best you consult with a Dermatologist in this regard to evaluate the swelling and decide next step to be taken.

Kindly do respond to above queries.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.

Follow-up: Lump on back of neck, almond shaped neck, ear infection. Can this be tumour, advise? 7 hours later
I have had it for 3 to 4 weeks. It's smooth. I haven't had any problems with my scalp. My body weight has stayed the same: 6' 5" 291lbs - muscular build. I had just recently gotten over a cold/upper respiratory infection during the last four days.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 3 hours later
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply.

Cold or lymph node enlargement but unlikely over scalp area.

There is a chance of some scalp infection or possible systemic viral infections which is causing the lymph node swelling.

It is advisable to get a thorough checkup to find the possible causes of this phenomenon from a competent Dermatologist.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more concerns. If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health.