Lump on baby's spine, skin over lump looks like a bruise. Do you have any answers to this finding?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My husband I just noticed a small lump to the left our 4 month old baby's spine. The skin over the lump looks a bit like a bruise. I take her in for her 4 month check up next week. I am concerned. Do you have any answers to this finding?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 39 minutes later
The appearance of a lump on one side of spine of a four month old baby might be due to an abscess or a hematoma or a cyst or hemangioma.
I cannot address your problem completely since it needs good local examination and investigations to rule out various possibilities.
The diagnosis can be made after a physical exam by a pediatric surgeon. I suggest you consult one to find out the exact cause.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.