Lump on arm. Started bleeding smelly discharge. On antibiotic after surgery. Looking for permanent cure

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
My daughter had a lump under her arm which opened up and started bleeding oozing a smelly discharge she had surgery and it came back worse she had 3 openings that formed together after 9 months on antibiotic and creams still not closing the infection cleared so my md sent us to a plastic surgeon right away the surgeon said only way to insure they won't return is to remove sweat gland and tissues around it taking a flap from her back to cover it so we said ok 2 weeks later it collapse so she went in for yet another surgery this time instead of using a sling he out her in a splint I insisted leaving it on for 2 weeks he wanted to take it off after one but he left it for 2 along with a pik and a drain going into 3 rd week she is complaining of pain which she really never complained of till now going back to dr XXXXXXX I am really scared that it might have collapsed again is their another way to go with this if it should collapse
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Beauty
Answered by Dr. Mayank Singh 2 hours later
thanks for posting your query on health care magic. I'm sorry to hear the condition of your daughter. What I have understood is that she had multiple draining sinuses in the axilla for which she has undergone a flap surgery as well. What appears to Have happened is that her lymph nodes in the axilla got infected after draining was done and most probably the discharge was lymph fluid secondarily infected. Is there any history of tuberculosis previously or has she been investigated for the same? At present if it is still draining lymph under the flap done then it will require removal of drain and respective antibiotics or anti tuberculosis drugs as per reports of investigations. Pain may be due to infection under the flap or partial flap failure. Kindly ask your plastic surgeon if Delgado ids healthy and was she investigated for Tuberculosis or clinically and as per reports is she having it? The Drain according to me should be removed and compression given above three flap with appropriate anti biotics.I hope I have helped you understand the condition and the way we need to proceed although your surgeon who is examining and treating your daughter will be the best person tho judge the ideal treatments.kindly post again if you have any further queries.
God bless
Dr Mayank Singh
Consultant plastic , cosmetic and hair transplant surgeon
New Delhi,India
Follow-up: Lump on arm. Started bleeding smelly discharge. On antibiotic after surgery. Looking for permanent cure 21 hours later
They did a culture and it came back fine we waited 9 months after antibiotics and creams it showed no infections but tissues started healing the arm to her side where she couldn't lift it or move it apart from her side without ripping it apart causing great pain and bleeding so dr said nows the time it stopped draining so he sent us to plastic surgeon not happy about any if this 2 flap surgeries later into 3rd week and flap in front has scar tissues going out of my mind her other under arm has 3 slits already what is your suggestion to close other sores without flap surgery she been on antibiotic antibiotic creams nothing helping was gonna get aloe gel to see if it will close it
thanks for your query again
closing it directly can be possible after freshing the margins only if the discharge is totally stopped. With extensive scarring it may not be possible to achieve closure.That can be determined by your plastic surgeon when he examines the opening and mobility of tissue around. Kindly confirm that tuberculosis has been ruled out and if closure is not possible Then another flap may be required though for opining on that I need to see the pictures from front side and back views around the defects that she is having. You may email me directly on my email address YYYY@YYYY if you wish,to maintain the privacy .I hope I have been of some help. Kindly post again or email again.
God bless